Employment Network News: September 2017
Time is Running Out...Register Today!
There is still time to register for the 10th annual Self-Determination Conference. This conference works to empower people with disabilities in Wisconsin to have more control over their lives. More than 600 people each year participate in the conference to learn more about self-determination and self directed supports so they can live independently, be members of their communities, and use public funds efficiently. The conference participants include people with disabilities and their family members, direct care providers, and professionals from Wisconsin’s disability community. View this year's conference brochure and register today!
Diehard Award Nominations
Do you know someone who goes above and beyond to improve community supports for individuals with disabilities? Do they support self-determination? Nominate them for a Diehard Award! A Diehard is an individual who has made a significant contribution to the advocacy work here in Wisconsin. A diehard is someone with a steadfast commitment to the principles of community integration and self-determination. Diehards go above and beyond to make sure everyone is counted. Awards will be presented at the Self-Determination Conference on November 3rd at the Kalahari Resort and Conference Center in the Wisconsin Dells. Nominations are due on Friday, October 6th. Nominate someone today!
The Employment Network includes some very talented members and we want to help you to get to know each other a little better. In September, the Employment Network is shining the Spotlight on Deb Thompson. When she’s not reading or spending time with her grandchildren, this Vocational Specialist loves helping people with disabilities find employment. She encourages people to take risks and not to become discouraged when looking for employment. Stop by this month's Member Spotlight to get to know more about Deb!
Lately, it seems like all of the news coverage has been about the catastrophic storms that are happening around the world. Back to back major hurricanes in the south, wildfires in the west, earthquakes in Mexico… it seems endless. This month, Stacy discusses what extra steps people with disabilities have to take when Mother Nature throws curve balls. We encourage you to share your experiences as well.
Take five minutes to check out what's happening on the Employment Network:
- Be Inspired: The Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion recently published two new profiles of Workforce Recruitment Program participants on its Success Stories webpage. Read the stories and learn about the program.
- Changing Attitudes about Employing People with Disabilities: Although people with disabilities are still largely under represented in the workplace, new data suggests that corporate attitudes are shifting. Find out what companies are finding.
- Embracing Inclusion: According to a new report which was part of the 2017 Disability Equality Index, a growing number of businesses are actively recruiting people with disabilities. Learn about how many employers have disability focus groups and many have senior executives working on the effort.
- Five Common Factors: The National Organization on Disability released aggregated results of its 2017 Disability Employment Tracker, revealing five common attributes shared by companies making the most progress on disability inclusion. Find out what those factors are.
- Call for Proposals: Proposals to present at the 2018 National ADA Symposium are now being accepted. The submission deadline is September 30th.
- The Results are In: The U.S. Business Leadership Network and the American Association of People with Disabilities announced the results of their 2017 Disability Equality Index (DEI) survey, an annual effort to gather information about best practices for disability inclusion across industries. Find out which businesses earned top ratings.
Here's a sample of upcoming events listed on the Employment Network:
- ADA Audio Conference: Facebook Friends-Workplace Enemies: September 19th, 1:30p.m. to 3p.m. Telephone/Online
- ADA Legal Webinar: Reasonable Accommodation Update: September 20th, 1:30p.m. to 3p.m. Telephone/Online
- State Of The Science Conference On The Employment Of People With Physical Disabilities: September 26th-27th, VCU, Richmond VA or Online
- 2017 Self-Determination Conference: November 1st-3rd, Kalahari Resort, Wisconsin Dells WI
Post your event on the Employment Network and it can be included in future Network News emails to members! Questions? Conta