How Do I...?
Navigating the Network: The Main Page & Menu Bar
When you log on to the new Employment Network, it will automatically take you to your own profile page. To see everything that is happening on the Network, click on Home in the menu bar. From the main page, you will find the latest discussions, news, events, etc. Then you can click on specific items or just View All for each category. You can also look at the menu bar across the top of the page(including both main tabs and subtabs) to find what you’re looking for.
But How Do I Post Something???
Almost all your posts will start on your profile page. (Exception: To respond to or start a Discussion in the Discussion Forum, see directions in the next section of this newsletter). When you login, you’re taken to your profile page. Once you are logged in, you can also get to your profile page by clicking on your name in the upper right hand corner.
There is a menu of boxes under your name on your profile page. Once you click on one of those boxes, you can click the + sign to post. Some of your options are:
- Timeline: Tell us what you’re up to.
- News: Do you know of some news you’d like to share? Resources and other announcements can go here as well.
- Events: Add any special events that you think people would be interested in learning about. These could include conferences, public hearings, community conversations, public meetings, etc.
- File: Feel free to add any documents (.doc, docx, .txt, .pdf) that you want to share online. If you plan to share those documents within a group, an event page, a discussion, or elsewhere on the site, they must first be added here.
- Followers: These are your “friends” on the Network. To become someone’s follower, go to their page and click on the green box that says Follow. That person will then need to accept or deny you.
- Gallery: Same as Files, except with photos!
- Groups: Members are allowed to start public or private groups on the Network. If interested in starting a group, please contact Stacy Ellingen at email@example.com since all groups must be approved first.
- Memo: Write a memo to yourself or to share with others. What ideas do you have for using the memo?
- Vimeo/Youtube: If a video is posted on Vimeo or Youtube, you can share it with the Employment Network.
Starting or Responding to a Discussion
Every rule has an exception and Discussions are the exception when we think about posting on the new Employment Network. You can find all discussions in the Discussion Forum. If you want to start a discussion, just pick a category you think it belongs in. Then click on the + to add a new discussion. Fill out the form and click on Create New Topic to post it.
To reply to a discussion, click on the title of the discussion and then scroll down until you find the comment box. Add your reply to that box and then click on Post Response.
Remember that if you want to embed any files (.doc, docx, .txt, .pdf) in your discussion or reply, you’ll need to add these on your profile page first.
Questions & Comments about the New Network?
As with any big transition, there is a lot to learn and explore. We understand there will be bumps and detours along the way, but we’re here to help you! We encourage you to take a few minutes to explore the new site. Feel free to post your comments and questions in this Discussion or contact us by email.